Emergency Dentist Services
By Damien Armstrong on August 07, 2013
Hopefully you will never face a dental emergency but should the need arise, it is good to have an emergency dentist to turn to, like Dr. Damien Armstrong. Dr. Armstrong offers both restorative and cosmetic dentistry treatments to repair the teeth in the event of an emergency. Below are just a few of the most common emergency dental treatments offered at Dr. Armstrong's Chattanooga practice.
What Types of Dental Problems Are Considered Dental Emergencies?
A dental emergency is typically a dental issue that comes on suddenly and should be treated as soon as possible. There are a wide range of possible conditions that qualify as a dental emergency. Some issues that should be treated immediately are:
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Dislodged or lost fillings
- Teeth knocked loose or completely out as a result of injury
- Loose or missing dental crowns
- Loose or missing porcelain veneers
Emergency Dental Treatments
Dental emergencies should be treated immediately so as not to cause further damage as well as to save the natural teeth from requiring more serious treatment later on. There are many restorative dentistry treatments that can be used to repair the damaged caused in a dental emergency. Some of the most common emergency dental treatments include:
- Repair of Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers are a great treatment option for those who suffer from mild chips, fractures, or decay in the front teeth. Porcelain veneers are wafer thin shells, custom made to restore the look of the teeth by fitting over their front surface.
- Dental Bonding: Dental bonding treatment is similar to porcelain veneers. Dental bonding can also be used to repair mild dental injuries like chips and fractures. Dental bonding uses a special resin which is molded and shaped to each individual tooth to hide flaws and damage one might experience in a dental emergency.
- Porcelain Crowns: Porcelain crown treatment is another common dental emergency service offered by Dr. Armstrong. Porcelain crowns can be used to restore the strength and the appearance of teeth broken in an accident or damaged by biting something hard. Porcelain crowns are tooth shaped prosthetics which surround a broken or damaged tooth to protect the natural tooth from further injury while restoring the appearance.
- Tooth-Colored Fillings: Old dental fillings may dislodge and fall out over time. When a filling is lost, the tooth is left vulnerable to further decay and breakage. Missing fillings should be replaced immediately. Fortunately, old metal fillings can be replaced with tooth-colored fillings for a flawless smile.
- Dental Implants: Unfortunately, some dental emergencies stem from missing teeth as a result of injury. For these people, dental implants offer a viable solution to permanent tooth replacement. Dental implants are screw-like posts placed within the jaw to which a dental restoration is attached. Individual teeth can be replaced with dental crown restorations. For those missing three or more teeth, implant-supported bridges or implant-supported dentures are excellent options.
For more information regarding the emergency dental services offered by Dr. Armstrong, or to discuss your general dentistry needs, we invite you to contact our offices today!
Related to This
"Dr. Armstrong is absolutely the best dentist I have ever been to! He is very gentle and thorough. I have been very unhappy with my teeth for a long time and he was able to to fix every concern I had. This is a Dentist that cares!"Melissa R.