Tooth loss can make it difficult to eat and speak properly and take a toll on your self-confidence, causing you to hide your smile.
River City Dentistry serving Chattanooga and East Brainerd, TN, provides highly realistic dentures to restore form and function to your smile.
What are the benefits of dentures?
How do dentures complete my smile?
If you are missing several teeth, but still have healthy natural teeth in place, partial dentures can complete your smile, and prevent your existing teeth from shifting out of proper alignment. Similar to how a dental bridge is created, an impression of your teeth and gums is used to create the replacement teeth, which will fit your bite precisely and blend in with your existing teeth to achieve a natural appearance. Once they are finished, these replacement teeth will be connected, usually with a pink gum-colored base that fits securely into the gaps in your smile. Partial dentures can also rely on dental implants for support.
A full set of dentures replaces all the teeth in your smile. There are several different kinds of full dentures:
- Immediate dentures are temporary sets of full dentures used if you require tooth extraction. After the teeth are removed, these dentures cover the gums as they heal and change in shape. Once your gums have completely healed and swelling has subsided, immediate dentures are replaced with conventional dentures.
- Conventional dentures are considered a long-term prosthesis, and are precisely formed to fit the new contours of your jaws. They rest on the gums, held in place with a mild adhesive. Wearing dentures involves a learning curve, and you will need to become acclimated to speaking and chewing with your new set of teeth.
- Implant-supported dentures are considered the highest standard of care, providing unparalleled support and functionality. Dental implants are small titanium posts surgically anchored in the jaw bone, replacing lost tooth roots. Because these dentures are secured to the implants through a ball-and-socket connection, they do not shift out of position while speaking or eating, and provide the most natural fit and feel. Meanwhile, dental implants are proven to curb the gradual shrinkage of the jaw that occurs in the absence of tooth roots. Implants require two surgeries and three to six months of healing time, but can provide you with a lifetime of dependable, confident functionality.
Damien F. Armstrong, DMD
Dr. Armstrong is dedicated to providing his patients with the highest level of care for all of their dental needs. To ensure he upholds the latest standards, he is a member of:
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
To schedule your consultation, contact us online or call us at (423) 486-9650.
"Dr. Armstrong is absolutely the best dentist I have ever been to! He is very gentle and thorough. I have been very unhappy with my teeth for a long time and he was able to to fix every concern I had. This is a Dentist that cares!"Melissa R.